April 12, 2012

Protein-Rich Blackberry Banana Smoothie with Coconut, Vanilla and Ginger

There are a lot of benefits to smoothies, some of which I'm sure you're familiar with. A big one is that they're an easy way to sneak in extra protein and nutrients into your diet. They're also gentle on the digestive system, since you're giving your body a head start by breaking it down, and can be quick and convenient. Sometimes that door may open too wide for you, like the morning I threw an entire avocado in for some healthy fats, but ended up with an alarmingly thick and slimy texture. This was also a strange choice, as my friend pointed out to me, since avocados are delicious, and I'm not sure why I felt the need to sneak it into my breakfast when I could eat an entire bowl of guacamole with a spoon. Although I understand why it may appeal to some people, I do not particularly have a shortage in greenery in my life and have largely stuck with the fruit theme.

Here is my latest creation, which has hints of ginger - a natural digestive aid. It has the right amount to avoid being a dominant flavour, but if ginger isn't appealing to you, simply omit it or replace with a pinch of cinnamon.


Blackberry Banana Smoothie with Coconut, Vanilla and Ginger   

Ingredients 

1 cup light vanilla soy milk
1/2 banana
1/2 cup frozen black berries
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp fresh ginger (frozen, grated)
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 tbsp sprouted chia seeds

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or container, if using a hand blender- I use recycled yogurt containers) and blend until completely smooth. Makes 1 serving.

Nutritional information per serving using nutritiondata.com:
Calories 285
Fibre 10 g
Protein 9.75 g

No comments:

Post a Comment