May 30, 2012

Salt & Pepper Kale Chips

Have you ever had vegetable chips? I don't mean the tri-coloured spinach and tomato potato chips. I'm talking about the delicious pieces off carrot, bean, parsnip and sweet potato that you can find in some bulk food stores. In university, I tried to make a version of this in my oven. What I ended up with was wilted pieces of vegetables glued to a cookie sheet. Another attempt in my dehydrator left me with bitter and tough pieces of eggplant. While my roommate tried to be polite, it's difficult to conceal involuntary nose scrunching.

I guess, for now, I'll stick to what I know. This is not ruling out the possibility of a third attempt in a year or two, perhaps with more patience and research, but one thing that doesn't let me down- save for one failed post-bar midnight snack- is a good kale chip. These are a perfect accompaniment to a summer barbecue, and can be spiced to your taste.


Salt & Pepper Kale Chips   

Ingredients   
1 bunch of kale
2 tbsp olive oil 
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp cajun seasoning (optional)

Directions   
Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Tear kale into smaller pieces, removing the tougher stems, and put in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Mix the oil in, gently rubbing the kale with your fingers to make sure they're well coated. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss. If you like spice, sprinkle cajun seasoning. Lay them out on cookie sheets, without layering them, and bake for approximately 30 minutes, checking them often. If they are still soft in places, add more time in 3 minute increments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment