July 31, 2012

Baked Sweet Potato Chili Fries with Lemon Chipotle Vegan Mayo


I have a history of low standards for utensils. Highlights include- but are not limited to- using an old library card to cut cheese, chewing a carrot stick into a spoon, and carting around a plastic fork with only one prong for months while travelling - proving exceptionally difficult when my plates were newspaper and bowls were plastic bags. These meals were also often accompanied by what was sure to have been the highest quality of portable miniature boxed wine available to me at the time.

Since then, I'd like to tell you that I've really upped my game outside of my kitchen. I wish I could tell you it was long ago that I was using two pencils as chopsticks on a regular basis to eat my lunch at work. But- I can't. It was one month ago. And only ended when my colleague was concerned for my health and kindly brought me a fork.

What I can do, is let you in on a recipe with no utensils required. I've made these in the past using egg-whites instead of only oil- but found they had some difficulty crisping up. This time, I had some gluten-free breadcrumbs on hand, and used a combination of olive oil and lemon juice for a perfect, light little shell. This recipe only serves two as a side, so double (or triple) for bigger parties or appetites.

Baked Sweet Potato Chili Fries with Vegan Lemon Chipotle Mayo   

Ingredients
For the fries:
1 large sweet potato, about 1 1/2 cups sliced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (I used rice here)

For the mayo:
2 tbsp vegan mayo substitute (I used light Vegenaise)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp chipotle powder

Directions 
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Slice sweet potato thinly- about 1/2 - 3/4 of a cm. The thinner they are, the more crispy they will be.

In a large bowl, toss with lemon, olive oil and chili powder. Mix well - I used my hands to make sure both sides of the slices were well coated.

Add the breadcrumbs just before putting them in the oven, and stir together.

Spread on a cookie sheet- trying not to overlap- and place in the oven for 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, flip the fries and return to the oven for approximately 20 - 30 minutes, checking every 4 minutes or so. The length of time can also depend on the thickness of the cut, strength of the oven, and desired crispiness- so make sure to monitor your batch. When they're ready, they should be slightly golden and firm to the touch.

For the mayo, combine all ingredients in a small dish and whisk together until smooth. Serve on the side.

1 comment: