December 09, 2012

Second Generation Mulled Hot Apple Cider


A major obligation that has consumed me for months has just been lifted from my shoulders. So, when chunky, soft snowflakes began falling over the weekend, and a wonderful friend showed up with a bag full of branches for crafts, I knew I could actually embrace December. And what better accompaniment to a snowy day full of projects than hot apple cider?

My mom gave me this recipe from her university days when it was a highlight over her holiday parties. I made a few adjustments to the first pot, and then a few more to the second. As it turns out, coconut oil does not actually prove to be a good replacement for butter in warm beverages. Oh, and I added more rum.

Here is the final recipe, to warm you from the inside out. Happy December.

Mulled Hot Apple Cider 

Ingredients 

5 cups (approximately 1L) unsweetened apple juice
2 cups dry white wine (we used our homemade wine which was a bit on the sweet side, so we took the sugar down a notch)
3/4 cup spiced rum
1/8 cup brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, and slowly heat on the stove. Generally, you should let it heat to almost a boil, and then turn it to low for at least 30 minutes. We had time, so we let it gently heat for a couple of hours until it was just under a boil before turning it to the lowest setting. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment