March 17, 2013

Raw Vegan Soy Wraps with Marinated Mushrooms and Tofu


I rarely buy magazines, and today was a perfect example as to why that is. In 30 minutes, I learned that women can make their time of the month "more fun" and "festive" by ordering a monthly delivery service, which includes your favourite products and chocolate (not a joke, leparcel.com), and that an all-star diet includes an afternoon snack involving a Starbucks venti iced soy latte and a slice of Ezekiel's sprouted grain raisin bread with 1 tbsp almond butter - more words to describe than food to eat in that sentence. Oh, and one can't overlook the full three-page spread on Botox.

Despite all of the nonsense, they are pretty entertaining. And I was reminded that I hadn't written any of my own nonsense in a while.

What better place to do so than in California - where I made my very first trip to Whole Foods a couple of days ago. Never mind that I spent 15 minutes in front of the cracker section alone, or that I bought so many groceries that I had to stop at every single block on the way back to give my shoulders a rest, or that I got lost and my 10 minute walk turned into 45 minutes from hell, or that I still can't turn my head to the left or right... it is the most exciting grocery store I've ever been to. And for the first time, I bought soy wrappers - these colourful little sheets of edible paper. They just looked so cute, I had to share them with you.

Raw Vegan Soy Wraps with Marinated Mushrooms and Tofu 

Ingredients

Soy wrappers - one sheet makes two small rolls
Vegan cream cheese

1/2 - 1 of each of the following for filling:
Avocado, peeled and sliced
Green onions, diced
Handful of fresh cilantro, washed and stems removed
Sprouts of choice (I used crimson clover)
Button mushrooms, thinly sliced
Rainbow carrots, thinly sliced
Radishes, thinly sliced
Firm tofu- about 1/4 block- into long rectangles
A small piece of mango, peeled and sliced

For the marinade:
Enough GF soy sauce and GF vegetable broth (TF, CF if necessary) to cover tofu and mushrooms in a small bowl in a 50/50 ratio - I used about 1/8 cup of each

For dipping:
Sriracha, soy sauce, wasabi etc.

Directions

At least one hour ahead of time, marinate the mushrooms and tofu in the soy sauce and broth mixture. The mushrooms should be softened by the time you use them.

For smaller wraps like these, slice the soy wrappers diagonally so you have two triangles. I played around with different combinations of fillings. For one, I spread cream cheese thinly over the whole wrap. Then on one edge, similar to how you would make a wrap, I placed avocado slices, a few slices of green onion, sprouts and carrots- letting the ingredients spill out over the top a bit. Roll gently from the side you've put the ingredients on, closing the bottom as you go, and wet the edge with either a bit of cream cheese or water to close the wrap.

Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to your preference. The other combinations I tried were tofu, mushrooms, carrot and mango, and then mushrooms, radishes and cilantro - each topped with green onion and sprouts. Really, you can do whatever you like with these. For more filling wraps, these can be used just like nori and rolled with rice and sushi fillings. The package usually comes with 5 sheets, so this recipe would make about 10 delicious and colourful little snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment