April 21, 2013

DIY - Paper Organizer


Have you ever wondered if a cereal box is the same size as a standard piece of paper? No? Well, if you ever intend to take the time to cut one up, paper mâché it for reinforcement and use it to hold your filing- you should probably double check first. Wait - I'll save you the trouble: it will not work.

I saw this idea in a DIY book my girlfriend got from the library. Although nowhere did it say to paper mâché- this was just a strange impulse I had- it did say to use a giant laundry soap box. Which should have been my first clue.

Instead of searching for smaller things I'd like to put into a box, I just cut off the front bit, turned it sideways and made it a little longer. Then, I used up an entire roll of hockey tape to put it all together, and went over the edges so it looked less patched up. Came out almost sharper than the first time around.

I won't do a step-by-step here - there were a few too many modifications with the front area- but basically you would just cut out the shape above, and remove the shortest open side. Mix some white flour with water in a bowl until you get a liquid consistency, dip strips of paper and start sticking them on, inside and out (hopefully your head and heart fill with some childhood nostalgia here). Use hockey tape to go over the edges and fill the gap underneath where you will have a space (I just put a piece underneath and then overtop so there was no adhesive left exposed).

Sounds... easy, right? Kind of? Anyway, looks good. Spent ... nothing on it. Especially since it was my boyfriend's cereal, hockey tape and flour. Suck it, Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment