May 08, 2013

Protein-Packed Vegan Salad with Quinoa, Beluga Lentils and Edamame


Ottawa has officially skipped spring and dropped summer on us in a hurry. The concrete jungle that is my back terrace has a climate akin to a sauna and my outdoor plants have begun to fry. Since my landlord has officially broken my heart with a written notice to discard my garden box because vegetable growing on the property is prohibited, my window-sills have become overcrowded. So, while I ask myself questions like: "Can lettuce grow to adolescence indoors?" and, "Will legal action seriously be taken against me if I plant mint among my roses?", at least the Ottawa Farmer's Market has kicked off with a forest of little herb plants to lift my spirits.

When my girlfriend told me about beluga lentils, the name alone made me want to try them right away. Now, they are possibly my favourite of the lentil family. They don't get mushy, are a cinch to cook and taste fantastic. What better way to kick off the first patio dinner than with a tasty bowl of protein-rich grains, vegetables and garden-fresh (or, in my case, window-sill-fresh) herbs?

Protein-Packed Vegan Salad with Quinoa, Beluga Lentils and Edamame      

Ingredients 

1 cup cooked beluga lentils (about ½ cup dry cooked in 1 ½ cups water or broth)
1 cup cooked quinoa (about 1/3 cup dry cooked in 2/3 cup water or broth)
1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
1 avocado, peeled, cored and sliced
2 shallots, sliced thinly
1/2 cup packed fresh spinach
1/2 cup shelled edamame (we only get it frozen here)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed, peeled and minced
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Cook the quinoa and the lentils in separate pots with the liquid ratio above. For beluga lentils, the ratio of dry lentils to water or broth is 1:3, and quinoa 1:2. Bring each to a gentle boil and then lower the heat to simmer covered for approximately 20 minutes (the lentils may need a few more minutes than the quinoa). 

In a small dish, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and fresh herbs. Set aside.

In a small pot with about 1/4 cup water, cook the frozen shelled edamame for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat, until softened. Reduce the heat to low, add in the spinach to steam and cover for 2 minutes, until spinach is soft. Drain any excess liquid.

Mix together all salad ingredients in a large bowl and slowly stir in the dressing and herbs (the salad is already packed with flavour, so the dressing isn't overpowering). Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment