September 08, 2014

Marinated Sesame Tofu Bites with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce




When the seasons change here in Ottawa, outerwear can be a gamble in the mornings when you're heading out for the day. One can wake up to sweater weather, close their windows and put on slippers, only to find themselves in public and severely overdressed by 11am. Today, I landed on campus in leggings, fall boots (lightly lined) and a long-sleeved jersey shirt. While I walked to class, I admired everyone's appropriate combinations of tank tops, jean shorts and flip flops, as the weather had jumped 13 degrees since I had gotten dressed. I overheard people walking by me, defending their similarly unfortunate decisions: "I don't understand why everyone isn't wearing shorts." "Um, these pants are actually super light." I took a few steps and tried rolling up my leggings, but that added too much of a combat boot vibe to my outfit, so I broke a sweat and kept my head down.

This confusing time of year also means that the retirement of backyard barbecuing is nigh. I have had zero success this season with barbecue-friendly veggie burgers, so for what could have been one of the last barbecue potlucks of the summer, I needed something quick, easy and inexpensive. These tasty bites were well received by all, including those who followed it with a freshly grilled burger.


Marinated Sesame Tofu Bites with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce   V  GF

Ingredients 

For the tofu marinade:
1 block firm tofu (soft or medium-firm tofu won't give you the same consistency)
1/4 cup GF soy sauce (CF & TF if needed)
1 tbsp honey (or substitute with a vegan sweetener such as agave nectar or cane sugar)
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil

For the peanut sauce:
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp GF soy sauce
1/2 tbsp white vinegar
3/4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 - 2 tsp crushed dried red chilli pepper, depending on your heat preference

Directions
  • Mix all ingredients for the tofu marinade
  • Cut tofu into bite-shaped cubes and mix together with the marinade either in a strong, sealable bag or tupperware container and let sit for 1-2 hours 
  • While tofu is marinating, whisk all ingredients together for the peanut sauce until smooth and set aside 
  • After tofu has marinated, heat up a large skillet on medium heat with a bit of coconut oil for frying 
  • For well crisped tofu, ensure all edges get a bit of crisping before turning over individually (the tofu will look very dark because of the sugar and soy sauce combo, so don't mistake it for burning but watch them carefully)
  • For serving, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chilli peppers
  • Serve with chopsticks or toothpicks as an appetizer or side

No comments:

Post a Comment