September 03, 2014

Simple Vegan Roasted Sweet Potato Leek Soup


It's been a whirlwind summer. 

In my transition from work back to grad school, I've had the pleasure of reexamining my diet choices once more. It was impeccable timing, really - just as I finished work for the summer and gave myself a week of rest before my final year of grad school. So, instead of being creative or putting my feet up in a fit of blissful relaxation, I've found myself in the fetal position and relying on Gravol in a pinch to get me through the night. 


So while I'm figuring out why my body has turned on me once more (some would say my briefly revisited love affair with coffee could be partially to blame, but I'll ignore it), I'm turning to simple, comforting recipes like this one. Roasting the veggies really brings out a rich, sweet flavour that doesn't need a lot of complimentary spices or additional ingredients. 


Simple Vegan Roasted Sweet Potato Leek Soup      

Ingredients   

1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, chopped up to rough green leaves and washed thoroughly
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
5 cups vegetable stock, GF/TF if necessary

Directions    

Toss the sweet potato, leeks and garlic pieces with olive oil and spread over a large cookie sheet. Roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Combine the vegetable stock with the roasted veggies in a food processor to make a puree; or, alternatively, use a hand-blender in a large pot. 


Bring the puree to a simmer on the stovetop on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4-6. 


Note: This soup thickens well, so feel free to be a bit more generous with the vegetable broth if you prefer a smoother consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment